Tuesday, June 3, 2008

All About Us


Because this is a family blog and Stephen and I for some strange reason have different views and memories of things, we will both take time to jot down our thoughts on events so you as our readers can understand our family a little better and why we are the way we are.

So let me start at the beginning. Stephen and I met at an Institute dance in early January of '99. My right hip (Doeshann) was smitten, I on the other hand thought any guy that wore socks with his sandals, shorts, and a jacket wasn't worth my time. For three months I took her everywhere she wanted to go to see him. It wasn't until they went out on a date that she was able to convince me that I should let him take me out. Our first date well, I don't think it was ever planned, because when he picked me up he had to ask me what to do. So we drove to Payson and had dinner. On the way home he pulled over and asked me to get out ( o.k. so at this point I'm thinking I was right he is crazy, what is he going to do!!!!!). He than got out and walked over to my side, held out his hand and with the most comforting look in his eyes asked me to trust him. Than we spent the next 30 min. or more dancing under the stars and talking about everything. That night when we got home we planned our 2nd date ( for the next morning) to go to Natural Bridge. We had to take Owen with us and I thought this was great he would have to slow down because my little brother was there NOT! On the way home Owen and I both fell asleep (now would be a good time to let you all know that we were all in his little Green Nissan Truck) and when I woke Owen was getting out to go in the hose and Stephen was asking if I wanted to drive around until I was able to wake up a little more. We drove to the Temple and got out to walk around, and than this really annoying thing happened. He started looking at me and laughing, and not telling me why. All I could think was HELLO IS THERE SOMETHING ON MY FACE? IS MY ZIPPER DOWN? But nothing was always his answer. So when I finally got so angry all I could do was sit down because I didn't want to be with him anymore he flipped my hand over and showed me that he had slipped a ring on my finger while I was asleep and I hadn't noticed it this whole time. It was than that his next comment caught me off guard "So what do you think?" (WHAT DO I THINK! well I was thinking is this guy for real, is he really asking me to marry him after our 2nd date?) I told him the ring was beautiful and asked him who it was for. When he told me it was for me I couldn't help but tear up, because at that moment I had the best this is the right thing to do moment ever. Three long months later we were married, and both ready for things to slow down, but that wasn't in the cards or this story. Until next time ( Probably tomorrow).

2 comments:

The Skousen's said...

Ok, Thanks for posting that because I NEVER knew that he put a ring on your finger while you were SLEEPING!!! That is the coolest thing ever. We are all glad that both of you were willing to move forward at the pace you did. Now Brik has a best friend his age because of it! By the way, all the kids are still playing outside and doing great!

Marquita said...

Oh my gosh, Sarah, I don't think I've ever heard that story! And putting the ring on your finger while you were alseep... that's hilarious! Awww, you and Stephen have a great story!