It started for me at an ASU institute Dance. I was looking for someone to dance with and happened to see this beautiful lady. I remember thinking to myself "I need to get to know her". It turns out that her friend, Doeshann, like me. So we all kind of danced in a group.
I had a challenge on my hand. How do I get to know the girl who's girlfriend wants to get to know me. The only answer for me was to get to know the girlfriend first. We always went out as a group and in so doing I got to know Doeshann and Sarah better. I feel like I developed a pretty good relationship with Doeshann and still feel like I have a good rapport with her today. I feel like I was a good friend and was honest with her. Enough so that I let her know that I wanted to get to know Sarah. I remember going to the temple with Doeshann and both feeling that our relationship wasn't going to go much further that it had at that time. In so doing got her "blessing" to get to know Sarah.
One night while the girls were house sitting, I came over. What I remember about that night was that I rubbed her feet and in my mind got a most peculiar response. It seemed that her eyes rolled back into her head and her body totally relaxed. I think I stopped and made sure she was alright. Very interesting to find out later that the same response happens when her head is brushed/combed and even pulled.
I remember a couple of dates (yes probably just two or two dates in one). One we went up to Payson and had dinner and in a not to busy restaurant I did dance with her. The next date we went up past Payson to the Natural Bridge. I had prayed about it and I wanted to marry her. Feeling pretty good about it I brought the ring with me. We brought her younger brother Owen with us. We hike around, the whole time Owen was not to far ahead or behind. I had planned to propose to her there in the park. Not feeling that I had the Perfect opportunity to propose I kept the ring in my pocket. We had a good day there. But that is not the end. On the way home Sarah and Owen had fallen asleep. No one to talk to and the perfect opportunity happened. I pulled the ring out and slipped it on her hand. Being proud of myself I don't think that I stopped smiling the rest of the trip home or that night.
Well we got to Sarah's house and she didn't notice that she had a newly ornamented finger. She dropped some things off and I asked her if she wanted to go walk around the Temple (Mesa, Az). Agreeable we went (without Owen) and walked around the Temple. The whole time with a Big Grin on my face. It amazed me that she didn't notice. She kept bugging me wanting to know what was up. When we got to the very front of the Temple between the gate and the reflection Pool we sat down on the bench there. I being a pretty non-verbal communicating guy pointed to her finger and being a guy asked her "What do ya think?"
It gets all fuzzy after that. We did go back to her place and I let her tell her family what had just happened. I think that I might have been warned that her brother Matt might not be to happy about it, but he was on his mission.
We were married about 3 months after we met on June 5, 1999. 2 weeks later our first, Calvin was on his way. So much for the pill. I wouldn't have it any other way. The LORD knows what he is doing. Even if we think we know what is best for us.
Monday, June 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
I'm sure glad that Doeshann(sp) gave you her blessing. That is hilarious. Your guys's story is definately one to be documented.
Hey Sarah!!! Havn't seen you in a loooong time! You should put some pictures on here. I don't even know what your kids look like! I don't even know what you look like anymore!! J/K
Doeshann always was a nice girl! I'm glad she have Stephen her blessing. Ü Such a cute story...both versions. I'm glad you have a blog now. Maranda's right, put some pictures on here.
Yeah!! I love that story, where was I? I dont remember any of that.
Post a Comment